After the rollout, Gmail users will see four tabs under Gmail: Chat, Mail, Meet, and Rooms.
The function is currently only available for both Desktop versions from Gmail accounts and the Gmail app.
In the Gmail app, you can find all four options in the button bar. On the desktop there is a separate section in the left sidebar.
These options are enabled by default upon rollout. However, Google offers users the option to deactivate them from the the settings.
In terms of functionality, these new options work similarly to the standalone apps. All are now integrated under one roof with the Gmail app.
If the function is not yet available in your personal Gmail account, you can activate the chat and room options manually in the settings. Are you wondering how? Here are the steps that you need to follow.
In the Gmail app
- Open the Google Play Store and update the Gmail app to the latest version available
- Then open the app and go to Settings
- Select your account and scroll down to find the Chats (Early Access) option.
- Check the box in front of it to enable the option and click on Try in the pop-up window
- Gmail will restart and you can see all four options in Gmail
On the web
- Enter mail.google.com/mail/u/0#settings/chat in the URL
- Select “Google Chat (Early Access)”
- In the pop-up window, click the Confirm option