Technology giant from Cupertino Apple introduced a new software update for Mac users. The new software update brings the Mac OS Big Sur to v11.3. This update comes two months after Big Sur 11.2 was released in February.
This is the third major update to macOS, and it contains few notable features.
This update adds support for the recently launched AirTag – the accessory that lets you keep track of things and search for items using the Apple Find My app MacBooks which are operated with M1 chipsets.
With this update, Mac users get new improvements related to iPhones and iPads, a new set of emojis, and different language options for Siri.
Apple has also added updates for certain apps like Music, Podcast, News, Safari, Reminders, and more.
In addition to new features, Apple has also introduced bug fixes with the macOS Big Sur 11.3. These include issues with AirPods auto-switching, assistance with turning iCloud Keychain on and off, and more.
Here are the full release notes of the update:
macOS Big Sur 11.3 includes support for AirTag, includes enhancements to the PiPhone and iPad apps for Macs with M1, introduces separate skin tones for emoji with pairs, and offers more diverse language options for Siri.
AirTag and Find My
– Support for AirTag to track and find your important items such as keys, wallet, backpack and more privately and securely in the “Find My” app
– The Find My network of hundreds of millions of devices can help you find your AirTag even when it’s not around
– Lost Mode will notify you when your AirTag is found and you can enter a phone number to be contacted
iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1
– Option to change the window size of an iPhone and iPad app
– Support for displaying the version with the highest resolution of an iPhone or iPad app in full screen mode
– Keyboard support for “iPhone” and “iPad” games designed to use device tilt
– Keyboard, mouse and trackpad support for “iPhone” and “iPad” games that support game controllers
– Support for separate skin tones for each person in all variations of Couple Kissing Emoji and Couple with Heart Emoji
– New face emojis, heart emojis, a woman with a bartemoji
– “Siri” now includes more diverse language options
– Autoplay resumes music playback by automatically playing a similar song once you reach the end of a song or playlist
– City maps show what’s popular in over 100 cities around the world
– Podcasts Show Pages have been redesigned to make listening easier
– Option to save and download episodes which will be automatically added to your library for quick access
– The download behavior and the notification settings can be adjusted show by show
– Top charts and popular categories in the search help you discover new shows
– With the redesigned News + Feed subscribers of “Apple News” + can quickly find, download and manage magazine and newspaper issues
– All new search experience to help you find relevant topics, channels and stories
– The order of the home page sections can now be adjusted
– With the additional WebExtensions API, developers can offer extensions that replace the new tab
– With the Web Speech API, developers can integrate speech recognition for subtitles, dictations and voice navigation into their websites in real time
– Support for video and audio formats from WebM and Vorbis
– Ability to sort the Today Smart list
– Support for synchronizing the order of reminders in lists on your devices
– Option to print your reminder lists
– Support for Xbox Series XS Wireless Controllers or Sony PS5 DualSenseTM Wireless Controllers
Mac computers with the M1 chip
– Support for hibernation
About this Mac
– This Mac shows Apple warranty status and AppleCare coverage under the Service tab when signed in with Apple ID
– Support for AppleCare + purchase and enrollment for eligible About This Mac computers
This version also fixes the following issues:
– Reminders created through “Siri” can be unintentionally set for the early hours of the morning
– iCloud Keychain may not turn off
– AirPods audio routing to the wrong device for automatic switching
– AirPods notifications for automatic switching may be missing or duplicated
– External 4K monitors may not display at full resolution when connected via USB-C
– The login window may not display correctly after restarting Mac mini (M1, 2020).
– The dwell function may not work in the accessibility keyboard